Monday, September 22, 2008

#2 in a Series: Lucky Break

(This is a recounting of my journey into standup comedy. Read the posting below this one first!)

For three months, I went to every open mic I could find in Portland. If someone would give me stage time in Salem, Cornelius, Seattle, or Siberia, I'd drive there to do my 3-7 minutes. Okay, I didn't drive to Siberia because the landbridge was covered with salty water.

And then came my "big break": Headliner Cain Lopez and feature act Roger Lizaola needed a ride to Oak Harbor, about 9 hours from Portland. If I'd give them a ride, they'd let me emcee their show.

That was my first paid gig. Actually, Cain slipped me $50 under the table to help pay for gas, but I call it a paid gig. I was clearly a novice, but the audience was polite and Cain and Roger couldn't have been nicer to me. I'll never forget their generosity.

No comments: