Saturday, December 10, 2011

Adventures in Africa: Part 4 - GOOD, BAD, WONDERFUL

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE.....WONDERFUL


I had intended to write a daily blog about my stay in Uganda. But then real life got in the way. It turns out that we only have electrical power -- and internet -- about 4 hours each day, thanks to the Ugandan government not paying its bill to the power company. It ruins my plan to give you an authentic daily account of life here....but being forced to unplug from home and modern life for most of the day means I have more time to go out and meet people, explore my surroundings, learn the language. So rather than having a chronicle of each day, I've decided to just talk about things that randomly come to mind that I think you might find interesting about life here.

People here often ask me what I think about their country. I'm always positive, telling them I love it. And I do love it. But if you want a completely honest answer, I would also have to add that the pollution here is horrendous. I haven't had allergies in more than a decade, but now my itchy eyes, runny nose, and sneezing are back with a vengeance thanks to the clouds of black exhaust spewing out of most of the cars, trucks, taxi vans, and motorcycles. Add in the wood and charcoal smoke from all of the homes trying to heat their food and water, and the fumes from generators, and the stench from burning garbage, and you've got an excellent recipe for bad air. I feel sad that the people here have to breathe this their entire lives. Fortunately, I found a pharmacy that carries allergy meds, and I'm able to get by. But wow, I will never again complain about the strict DEQ standards and fees back home.

The best thing about this country is the people. Most days, I'm the only white person ("muzungu") I see. I am alone amid hundreds of thousands of black Africans. I am stared at curiously by most. Some quietly murmer, "Muzungu" as I pass by. Others give a friendly yell, "MUZUNGU!" I always smile -- always. I don't consider myself a good looking woman...I'm fat, I am well into middle-age...but I do have a good smile. And I use it everywhere I go here. All I have to do is look someone in the eyes and smile, and I seem to have instant friends. And when I then greet them in their native language -- without exception they are happily floored!!

The power is going out now -- I must end this post before I lose it all.

No comments: